Monday, April 25, 2011

ORIGINAL BROADCAST TAPES FROM THE MET. 1960 AND 1966

 Andrea Chenier


 Renata in front of the Met on
September 10, 1966
signed for me in 1968


Publicity shot of La Gioconda


Curtain call at La Scala
La Gioconda

 
I was on Ebay last week, in the opera section. and saw that there were a number of reel to reel tapes for sale that were made exclusively for a record executive.  They were recordings of operas from the Met that he had in his personal collection that were not recorded for any one else.  He passed away and these tapes were purchased  from his estate.   They were both of performances that I attended and starred Renata Tebladi. The earliest was Andrea Chenier, recorded on March 26, 1960. It was with Richard Tucker, Ettore Bastianini, Martha Lipton, George Cehanovsky, Enzo Flagello, Ossie Hawkins, Calvin Marsh and conducted by Fausto Cleva. 


The second, La Gioconda recorded on two dates, October 29, 1966 and December 10, 1966. I attended the one in October also conducted by Fausto Cleva.   This performance starred Renata Tebaldi, the great tenor Franco Corelli, Biserka Cvejic, Cesari Siepi and Anselmo Colzani. The conductor was also Fausto Cleva.  This was the second performance of this Opera  and cast that I saw.  The second Opening Night of three at the new Met at  Lincoln Center on September 18, 1966, La Gioconda with the same cast, which I attended.

I purchased both of these tapes, contacted a sound company in Bowling Green and the owner was very excited to put both of these historic, one of a kind, tapes on a CD for me. I am going to take both of them to him this week to get them transferred.  I can't wait to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment